Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pennsylvania Nature

I can't seem to go a day without seeing beautiful animal babies everywhere. Most notably are the fawns, sometimes singly, sometimes in pairs, following their mothers around as they nibble on the abundant grass. I've tried taking some pictures, but I can't seem to get close enough to get good ones.
I'm seeing lots of turtles too, snapping turtles and red-eared sliders. The snapping turtles were laying eggs a week or so ago, which explains why they've been everywhere. I remember a few years ago seeing a gigantic snapper in the middle of the road. I didn't want her to get hit by a car, so I decided I'd help her across the road. At the time, I didn't know that snapping turtles have long necks and can reach almost all the way behind them. I thought I'd just gently lift her shell and help her across... Fortunately, something in me thought "maybe not a good idea". I tried to inch closer to her in the hopes that she'd move of her own accord, but she was fearless (unlike ME!) In the end, I realized there wasn't much I could do without putting myself in danger, or putting her in further danger, so I got back in my car, and sure enough, she started moseying to the side of the road. I'm glad I didn't act on my initial instinct to pick her up - after doing some research I saw that they have a vicious bite and it is definitely not recommended to mess with them at all.
I try to learn about all of the wildlife I encounter in my travels. That information always comes in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment